Theft #1 - What About the Blog Title?

Well, this is a bit of a "reboot" of my blog so be as patient as you can with this way of starting over. 


The blog title refers to a song intro made by Bono (U2) before a live version of "Helter Skelter" from the movie (and CD) Rattle and Hum. He simply says "This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealin' it back!" As an American evangelical Christian (knowing that Bono is an Irish evangelical Christian), this intro strikes me as a powerful redemptive statement. (Biblical "redemption" means--in the strictest sense--to buy someone back out of slavery.)


So, with that brief explanation, I will tentatively establish the purpose of this blog to be to "steal back" or "buy back" good and Godly concepts, ideas, cultural practices, words, books, music, paradigms, philosophies, theologies, et al, which--in particular--our neo-secular American culture and media have stolen and perverted for bad and ungodly uses. Since the return of Jesus is is sometimes compared to "a thief in the night," I chose to adopt the "stealin' it back" metaphor over the (perhaps) more precise "buying it back." Plus, since U2 is pretty much my favorite rock band (and has been for over 20 years), I just want to use it.

Because this is a blog, my method of such "re-thievery" must be the written word, probably very often used in the genre of debate and/or argument (in the classical sense).

I believe that is a sufficient intro.
Comment if you wish, or wait till you see more.

Till then, I remain:
The Thief

Comments

Popular Posts